[Python-Dev] Searching Python docs (Was: Python sidebar for Mozilla/Netscape)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 21:44:35 -0500

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > > (2) In two application development shops with which I am engaged,
 > > the main application runs on a large Unix box, but the developers'
 > > and DBAs' workstations are Windows (2000) PCs -- is this atypical?
 >
 > I've never seen it, but I suppose I'm atypical. :-)

I've seen it, and I suspect it's pretty common.  In the specific
situation I worked in, we were developing a 3-tier vertical-market
application.  We had a server that provided database access with
domain logic & security, and a "fat" GUI client for Windows.  (For
people who don't know what a 3-tier system is, the 3rd tier is the
data storage layer -- Oracle 7 in our shop.)  Our server ran on a
variety of platforms: NT, several Unix flavors, and VMS.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation