[Python-Dev] Pymalloc and backward compatibility

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:17:32 +0200

martin wrote:

> Aahz <aahz@pythoncraft.com> writes:
>
> > <scratch head>  I must be missing something here.  We're not talking
> > about an end-user product, we're talking about a developer tool.  What's
> > wrong with requiring a Python download for someone who at this point
> > wants to *upgrade* vim from the system default?
>
> Because requiring this software might violate company policies. For
> example, Redhat cannot include more recent versions of Python in their
> distribution 7.x.

what martin says should be obvious, of course -- people use Python
in many different environments, and most of them are quite different
from your average python-dev'ers development box.

what I don't really understand why this discussion keeps going.  isn't it
up to the VIM maintainers to decide what requirements their customers
might be willing to live with?

(if you want me to tell you what I really think, ask me to force PIL users
to upgrade to the latest Python version if they want to use the latest PIL
version... or post a marketing PEP ;-)

</F>