[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 16:31:16 -0500

    A> What I suggest is that instead of

    A>     major.minor.bugfix

    A> we do

    A>     major.minor.enhanced.bugfix

    A> This way, only major.minor releases can introduce actual
    A> language changes, but enhancement releases can pick up library
    A> changes.  If this sounds at all workable, I recommend issuing a
    A> quick BDFL pronouncement changing 2.2.1 to 2.2.0.1.

Ug, do we really need more dots?  If we're really going to do that
then maybe we should give up our biases about changing the first
number.

>From my own perspective it seems that 2.1.x is viewed as the stable
release family, and each micro release reaffirms its stability.
That's a good thing.  That 2.2.x is viewed as more experimental is
simply caused by the new type/class stuff, and I don't think there's
much marketing you could do to change that perception.  Maybe 2.2
should have been called 3.0 <wink>.

-Barry