[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 16:37:14 -0500

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> From my own perspective it seems that 2.1.x is viewed as the stable
> release family, and each micro release reaffirms its stability.
> That's a good thing.  That 2.2.x is viewed as more experimental is
> simply caused by the new type/class stuff, and I don't think there's
> much marketing you could do to change that perception.  Maybe 2.2
> should have been called 3.0 <wink>.

Hmph.  Why are you winking?  Between new-style classes and the division
change, that's actually a sensible suggestion.

How about we change "2.3" to "3.1", making 3.0 a retroactive symlink to
2.2.  (Okay, so I'm mostly joking here, but I really do think there'd be
fewer complaints about 2.2 if it had been billed as a major change.)
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker