[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sun, 07 Apr 2002 17:19:39 -0400

> Tightening up functions which allowed
> two params where a tuple was correct.

Yeah, we should have used warnings for that first.

> The changes to ConfigParser bit me hard;

I think we were too careless with ConfigParser.

> I think a couple other std lib changes got
> me, too.
>
> In many cases my 1.5.2 code ended up
> better, so the urge to whine is over
> pretty quickly.
>
> In a broader sense, Unicode is by far
> the most disruptive change. My excuses
> for ignoring the damn stuff are disappearing.

Yeah, Unicode will continue to bite where you least expect it. :-(

> > (2) Was the pain worth it, or would you prefer we'd
> > spent more time on
> >     being more backwards compatible?
>
> I don't have more than a muted grumble
> about backwards compatibility. Where I end
> up with checking the version, it's to make use
> of a new feature, not keep old code working.
>
> Recompiling all those extensions is the
> biggest pain.

Distutils to the rescue?

> > > (FWIW, the hardest post 1.5.2 feature for me
> > > to do without is augmented assignment.)
> >
> > Since you're also a C programmer (I believe), I'm
> > not surprised.
>
> Well, the other side of that coin is that I'm
> still only +0 on list comprehensions and -0 on
> lexical scoping :-).

That's OK.  List comprehensions didn't incur any incompatibilities,
and lexical scoping incurred only very rare ones (I think).