[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:44:26 -0400

>     GvR> Or maybe 2.3 should become 2.2.3.  <0.5 wink>
>
>     BAW> I think the new bool type has already prevented that.
>
>     SM> Why?  If you postulate that 2.even.x become the experimental
>     SM> release branches, then 2.2.3 with a bool type makes perfect
>     SM> sense.
>
BAW> Given that interpretation, I'd agree.

*If* we're going for an even/odd scheme, I wouldn't want to swap the
Linux convention, so 2.2 would have to be stable, and 2.3
experimental.  Given Alex's comments on 2.2, I don't think it's too
far of a stretch to label 2.2 stable after the fact.  It could make it
easier to start experimenting with stuff in 2.3.

I also like the idea of doing away with alpha/beta releases and use
micro releases instead.  I guess we'd have to issue a press release
(we may already be doing one for 2.2.1, we may have to add some words
to it).

Maybe I should PEP it first? :-)