[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:38:19 -0400

    Fred> (It's enough to make me think that Andrew may have been
    Fred> right about not integrating the XML support the way we did.)

I wonder if decoupling more of the standard library isn't a good idea,
although it flies in the face of "batteries included".  One thing I
like about XEmacs's model is that I kind of get both for little
effort.  I want all the latest packages, but I don't want to
re-install XEmacs to get them.  So I use the package manager, which
isn't exactly one-click-updates, but it's pretty simple to use.

We'd still have to deal with incompatibilities in core modules, and in
the language spec, but those probably require different tools.

-Barry