[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:55:24 -0500

    Anthony> That tide's only the linux users, and the linux users who care
    Anthony> what kernel they're running. I'm an ex-sysadmin, pretty solid
    Anthony> unix geek, and I nowadays run whatever my distro comes with -

Yup, me too.  I was mostly thinking about the Linux distro folks
themselves.  It makes it a bit easier for them if they think, "Ah, yes, 2.3
is an experimental release.  We better target Pythonn 2.2 or 2.4 for our
next release."

    >> That wasn't what I was referring to.  I was referring to the spate of
    >> checkins where people have to advance version numbers prior to a
    >> release.  I would hope that could be automated.

    Anthony> That's pretty much down to
    Anthony>   Include/patchlevel.h - two spots
    Anthony>   README - one line
    Anthony>   Misc/NEWS - if it's been kept up to date, no changes.

I don't know.  I see a lot more version-related checkins than that float by
just before a release.  What about the docs for example?