[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 19:27:36 +0200

On Monday 08 April 2002 07:24 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> All the Python developers need to do is decide on a point where they
> won't allow incompatible changes to new features between micro
> releases.  Currently that point is the release of the "final" release
> of a minor version (e.g. 2.2).  I can see that point shifting to a
> later micro release for future minor releases, so that e.g. 2.3, 2.3.1
> up to 2.3.7 may contain incompatible features, but 2.3.8 and later
> must be compatible with 2.3.7.

It seems to me that the "stabilization" point SHOULD be more
clearly marked -- get the message out "this IS stable and reliable,
anything written for this release will not break in future releases
of the same major.minor" in a very clear way.

It seems to me that duplicating (in your example) 2.3.8 to 2.4.0
(and using 2.5.0 as the new baseline for further experimentation)
would be a very clear signal in this sense.

Alex