[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:45:44 -0400

    GvR> All the Python developers need to do is decide on a point
    GvR> where they won't allow incompatible changes to new features
    GvR> between micro releases.  Currently that point is the release
    GvR> of the "final" release of a minor version (e.g. 2.2).  I can
    GvR> see that point shifting to a later micro release for future
    GvR> minor releases, so that e.g. 2.3, 2.3.1 up to 2.3.7 may
    GvR> contain incompatible features, but 2.3.8 and later must be
    GvR> compatible with 2.3.7.

Maybe I misunderstand, but it makes me really nervous that micro
releases would have internal incompatibilities (I'm not talking about
those related to fixed bugs in earlier micros).

One that I've noticed is that many, many people simply do not
understand the concept of a micro release.  I can't tell you how many
questions I get that ask about Mailman 2.08 (sic).  We saw some of
this when Python 1.5.2 ("Python 1.52") was out.

I'd dread having to explain to people "this is compatible with Python
Python 2.4.2 but not anything earlier than 2.4.1 unless you're on the
2.3.x branch and then 2.3.7 is okay, but not 2.3.6 or earlier."

-Barry