[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:42:04 +0200

On Monday 08 April 2002 20:30, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 07:35:18PM +0200, Alex Martelli wrote:
> > >At least, it worked wonderfully for Linux.  Which is where I started
> > >this whole thread of discussion...
> >
> > It's not clear that it has [...]
>
> I agree.  Linux is not a good role model.  I think FreeBSD has done a
> much better job with their -STABLE and -CURRENT branch naming.

Personally, I use OpenBSD where stability and security really matter
to me (firewalls, servers) -- and Linux on interactive workstations,
because in that case "support for the latest doodad" and "graphical
ease in installation and management" matter more to me.  But while
the technical issues can be argued, I don't think there's any doubt
that Linux, starting from nowhere, HAS gained a huge "market share"
of hearts and minds among free Unix variants (indeed, among Unix
variants of all ilks).  The stable/experimental "message" (murkily
carried by parity of minor release) seems to have worked better
than the stable/current one (with its implication that the stable one
is "not current"... which feels BAD to prospective adopters...:-).

Alex