[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 15:26:57 -0400

[Alex, getting better at brevity]
> Judging by languages such as C or C++, stability seems paramount;
> yet Java churned a lot and still managed to spread a lot too (not
> without a lot of help from high-$$$ marketing efforts, though).

Another example of the Logajan paradox.

> True, and yet such decision makers DO want to perceive that the
> specific software they use IS actively supported.  It's a reasonable
> desire indeed, as I've tried to explain quite a few times.

Yet it is close to Logajan's position.

> If they perceive that choosing "Python in general" means they have
> to choose between an "old, not actively supported any more" version
> of the language, and one that breaks previously working code every
> six months, then that will weigh on their mind as a big minus for
> Python.

So it's purely a matter of spin.  Because new Python releases every 6
months do *not* mean that code breaks every 6 months.  Yet some people
continue to believe this.

> If they perceived they could choose a "stable but actively
> supported" version (the existence of an experimental one too would
> not worry them, I believe -- many popular languages sprout
> experimental ones based on them too) then that worry would be out of
> the way, and I'd have a better chance to get them to LOOK at the
> huge productivity improvements Python has in wait for them...

Maybe all we need to do is make the micro releases a bit more
visible...