[Python-Dev] A dizzying stream of checkins

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:46:28 -0400

> This is just an aside, only peripherally related to the current
> "stability" thread, but my head starts to spin when I see a rapid
> flurry of checkins.  (I count 43 in my current inbox since about 6PM
> EDT Sunday). That doesn't count any I've already deleted.  It
> appears that there are some things going in on the main branch,
> Guido's checking in bool() and friends for 2.2.1 and Anthony's
> putting the 2.1.3 release machine in motion.  I guess I could sort
> it out better if I paid closer attention to the presence or absence
> of a Tag: attribute in the checkin mail.  Has anyone given any
> thought to how this flood of mail might be managed more cleanly?  I
> can certainly mess around locally with procmail, but I was wondering
> if it was worth trying to do something more centrally.

I think it may be worse because SF held on to a whole bunch of
checkin mails and then decided to send them all at once.

Also, we're doing *two* releases tonight.

Zope Corp uses a superior post-commit action script that seems to be
able to send email to different lists depending to the tag; maybe we
can add that feature to our commit script?