[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:15:06 -0400

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> Part of the problem is implementation details (i.e. avoiding the use
> of Python 2.2 features in standalone, but not in the Python cvs
> tree).  Part of it is due to the nature of distutils package layout
> (i.e. you need to put setup.py, README, etc. someplace, and distutils
> seems to strongly discourage it being in th epackage).  Part of it's
> also that I feel I have more leeway to change things in the standalone
> package.
>
> But at some point it will stop making sense to distribute a separate
> package.

Hrm.  But until it's no longer a separate package, why use 2.2-specific
features in the builtin package?
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker