[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 18:40:01 -0400

[Jeremy]
> I'm actually reading the whole thread, but I've only read 45% of the
> messages that arrived before 2:40 p.m.  :-)

Don't respond to anything you see before 6:45, it's all superceded
already. :-)

>   AB> The key thing, I think, is to keep on top of the backporting. If
>   AB> it slips, it's an absolute monster to catch up.
>
> If we are going to change anything about the way we work, this strikes
> me as the most likely candidate.  If we are going to continue to
> maintain 2.1, then a developer who checks in a fix for some bug on the
> trunk should also fix it for 2.2 and 2.1 if possible.

Hm, I think 2.1 may be a lost cause, but we've done this pretty
consistently for 2.2, and I strongly encourage to keep doing it.  If
Michael can no longer do it, I'd like to call for a new volunteer, or
(if all else fails) have someone at PythonLabs take over.

> Basically, we need unambigious rules about when we'll stop doing micro
> releases from a particular branch.  I think we should maintaince on
> 2.1 and 2.2, largely because 2.2 has so much experimental stuff.
> Once we get to 2.3, we can re-evaluate the situation and decide
> whether we want to continue maintaining 2.1.

I think 2.1 is at the point where we only need to be reactive
(e.g. fix reported core dumps).  The focus should be to keep 2.2 alive
-- sooner or later it will gain a reputation of stability. :-)