[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:51:49 -0500

[Guido van Rossum]

> >     1) Those people who want to be on the bleeding edge do not, by
> >        nature, care what release numbers mean.  They'll work out of
> >        CVS repositories, or the similar "snapshot" systems, and can
> >        not be convinced otherwise.
>
> In Python's case, that's a vanishingly small fraction of the total
> user base.  Even the alpha/beta releases are downloaded by a
> disappointingly small number of people.  Many Python users apparently
> consider themselves early adopters when they install 2.2 final when it
> comes out.

For every Python project that I'm involved with I work out of CVS. For
Python itself, the lack of a C compiler for Windows keeps me from working
with the CVS version. As the base of Windows users grows, I suspect this
will become more common. I'd be more than happy to test the CVS version of
Python if it was easier to do so on Win 98.

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech