[Python-Dev] Pondering some changes to python.c...

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:06:57 -0600

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:18:18AM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>That's very hacky, IMO, and something I would not like to see
>generally available. If you need that feature, embed Python.

Indeed.  Setting it in python.c is relatively easy...  That's what the
patch I included did...

>ps manages to find out what the arguments are, so it should be possible
>to find (and overwrite) them even without getting them as arguments to
>main().

"ps" parses /proc/<pid>/cmdline to figure out what the command-line was.
AFAIK, /proc/<pid>/cmdline is read-only:

   [root@prospero tmp]# date >/proc/$$/cmdline
   date: write error: Invalid argument

I'm sure it's not hard to find the memory block that argv resides at if you
are a kernel module, but I suspect fewer changes are required by using the
mechanism I proposed earlier.  ;-)

Sean
--
 You know you're in Canada when:  The weather reports starts with "All
 temperatures are degrees below zero unless otherwise stated."