[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:39:17 -0400

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 06:40:01PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>Hm, I think 2.1 may be a lost cause, but we've done this pretty
>consistently for 2.2, and I strongly encourage to keep doing it.  If
>Michael can no longer do it, I'd like to call for a new volunteer, or
>(if all else fails) have someone at PythonLabs take over.

Make it a BDFL edict, then: bugfixes to the CVS HEAD should also be
applied to the release22-maint branch by the same committer, unless
the fix introduces an incompatibility.

It's much more scalable to make everyone do an extra checkin every few
days rather than to have some poor person dig through miles of CVS
logs; maybe then we can roll out a new maintenance release with a week
or so of checking, instead of a month or two.

Michael, would it be worth posting the scripts you wrote to
automatically apply patches to the 2.2-maint branch?  Or putting them
in Tools, or in nondist/<something>?

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
You're just an aging hippie, Professor.
    -- Ace, to the Doctor, in "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy"