[Python-Dev] Release Schedules (was Stability & change)

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 08:52:34 +0200

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 08:42, Tim Peters wrote:
> > unified ints/longs,
>
> People are definitely going to howl about finishing this one.  People who
> used to strip the trailing 'L' from str(long) via str(long)[:-1] found
> themselves throwing away the last digit after str(long) stopped producing
> a trailing 'L'.  What did they do instead?  Almost every workaround I've

Giving strip methods an optional arguments, the characters that are
OK to throw away (stopping the stripping when a not-to-be-thrown-
away character shows up -- defaulting to whitespace like now of course),
would help here and also with other related issues such as emulating Perl's
"chomp".  I also think it's the kind of change that would be OK in a minor
release in the stable branch.

Alex