[Python-Dev] 2.2.1c2 RPMs

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:41:31 +0100 (BST)

I'm going to post this to python-dev too, so people see the time line at
the end.

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 02:46:53PM +0100, Michael Hudson wrote:
> >> I've uploaded the RPMs for 2.2.1rc2.  This is what the final 2.2.1
> >> beta will be based on, so if you have any final comments let me
> >> know.
> >
> >Does this mean you have new spec files to check in?
>
> Nearly...  There are a couple of things that need to be done.  I do have a
> couple of questions on doing so though, perhaps you can help me with
> them...

I hope the other email cleared most of these up.

> I'm expecting to spend tomorrow from 8pm to 11pm Mountain time (GMT+6)
> working on the spec file and building RPMs.  I'd like to get the new spec
> file checked into the base release (and would like them to be able to build
> Python RPMS directly from the tar file if possible).
>
> So, there are two things that I need to do: check the spec file into CVS,
> and use that to build the final RPMS.
>
> I'd think that I won't really be able to build the final RPMs until the
> "golden Python" is released.  Or is there some "really shiny yellow but not
> quite golden python" that I can build RPMs against,

Yes.

>  but I can still check
> in the spec files for inclusion in the final release?
>
> Sorry for the "basic python release" questions -- this is the first one
> that I've been involved in before the fact.

Hey, don't sweat it -- this is only my third...

For clarity, here's how the next few hours go.  All times GMT.

12:00 I declare the branch to be good, cut a tarball for you and leave it
      in creosote.python.org:~mwh/Python-2.2.1.tar.gz

~16:00 Fred finishes the docs and leaves a pile of files scattered all
       over creosote.

2:00-5:00 You grab the above, build some RPMs, and leave them in
          creosote.python.org:~jafo/python-2.2.1-foo.rpm.  Emailing me
          md5s probably gets you brownie points.  I sleep.

11:00 I move all files into place on creosote, edit web pages, write an
      announcement, etc.  I go nowhere near sourceforge (hurrah!).

12:00 the release: I send the announcement, run make install on creosote,
      etc.  Fireworks, champagne, and so on.

Does this sound reasonable?

Cheers,
M.