[Python-Dev] "Unstable" is an ambiguous word...

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:59:15 +0200

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 02:44 pm, Jacob Hallén wrote:
> I would also like to add that there is a benefit with the multiple
> numbering scheme. The various distribution makers will most probably build
> packages for both the stable and the experimental versions, allowing people
> to easily maintain both versions on their machines. With the current
> situation, most distribution builders will skip the alpha, beta and rc
> versions, thus decreasing the population that will actually test them.

I suspect the situation may change by distribution.  Mandrake, if I know
them well (and I'm a satisfied customer for over a year, supporting
member of the Mandrake club, etc), WILL keep on top of the bleeding
edge, releasing a stable-python and an experimental-python package,
or something like that -- they know their customer base includes a lot
of rabid neophiles, as well as people who only want stability.  Debian,
though, I wonder -- I doubt they'll put in their "Stable" distribution
anything not vouchsafed for by Methushelah in person:-).  As for
RedHat, no problem -- they'll keep shipping 1.5.2 anyway...!-)

Alex