[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:57:02 -0500

    Skip> Is *-RELEASE a third branch, or is it what falls out the end of
    Skip> the *-STABLE pipe?

    Chris> RELEASE is actually just a tag on the RELENG branch of the tree.
    Chris> For example, FreeBSD has the following branches in CVS for 4.x:

    Chris>     RELENG_4
    Chris>     RELENG_4_3
    Chris>     RELENG_4_4
    Chris>     RELENG_4_5

    Chris> The following section of the handbook explains in some more
    Chris> detail about how the two branches progress through their life
    Chris> cycle:

    Chris> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

I think that still leaves my question unanswered, it just rephrases it.  If
*-RELEASE are simply tags on the RELENG branches, how does the RELENG branch
relate to the STABLE branches?  I assume there is some forking or renaming
that goes on.  What are the criteria for deciding it's no longer just
stable, but is now release quality?

Skip