[Python-Dev] Multiple revisions [was: Re: Stability and change]

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 11:04:44 -0400

> You can significantly reduce the time needed to apply patches to several
> versions of your software by using a smart revision control system.
>
> I recently discovered "arch", which has been designed to handle multiple
> parallell versions. It is a marvel, and it comes with really good
> descriptions of how to handle the problem in practice. I know that
> Linus Torvalds is considering it for the Linux kernel.
>
> http://regexps.com/

If I had to start over, I'd be happy to consider arch (and Perforce,
and Bitkeeper, and, oh, why not, Subversion).  As it is, this would
mean ripping out the foundation from our development process --
everything we do is tied to CVS on SF.  So, unless arch runs on top
of an existing CVS setup, too bad.