[Python-Dev] 2.3 goals

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 11:36:40 -0400

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> So, does anyone want to set a list of goals for 2.3?  Here's my list:
>
>     Implement PEP 262, and a simple package manager on top of it.
>
>     Finish the block encryption PEP.  Neil S. suggested to me that
>     adding AES to Python's standard library would be a good idea.
>     (And maybe deprecate rotor if we do that.)
>
>     Add support for the long-awaited Python catalog.
>
>     Documentation: complete the distribution and installation manuals
>
>     Look over the Demos/ directory and update where required.  (Of
>     course, I wanted to do that for every previous 2.x release, too, so
>     don't be too surprised if it doesn't happen.)

* New tests
* Fix doc bugs on SF (I know Fred needs help with this)
* Remove use of any deprecated features in the core
* Doc deprecated features appropriately
* Move deprecated features under Py_DEPRECATED (or whatever is decided)
* Deprecate modules which are unmaintained,
  or perhaps make a new category for modules 'Unmaintained'

In general, lots of cleanup so it is easier to move forward.
I've been trying to do these things.  But since I'm new,
I don't know about most of the baggage.

Neal