[Python-Dev] 2.3 goals

Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:34:49 -0400

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 01:23:08PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> Oh, and another possible 2.3 thing: is it time to drop the PCRE code?
>
>Yes please, and anything that uses it (like pre.py).  I guess sre.py
>must remain as mostly an alias for re.py.

Drop or deprecate?  pre is mentioned as an implementation detail in
the docs for the 're' module, so it could be argued that pre.py should
trigger a warning in 2.3 and only be dropped in 2.4.  (My inclination
is to just delete it, though; 'pre' never supported Unicode and I
doubt many people go out of their way to use it.)

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
"Such minds, Hinton, shaping infinity itself."
    -- Gull, in FROM HELL #2