[Python-Dev] Re: PEP Politics

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 20:04:10 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:28:25PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > >Maybe I should stop posting PEPs to c.l.py, and tell them that if they
> > >want a say in the future of the language, they should subscribe to
> > >python-dev?
> >
> > NOOOOOO!!!!!  I don't want to have to start using a killfile on
> > python-dev traffic to eliminate endless windy threads that never go
> > anywhere.
> >
> > --amk
> >
> > PS: NOOOOOO!!!!!
>
> I wasn't serious, but AFAICT /F was serious in his suggestion not to
> discuss my PEPs on c.l.py any more.  I think the consequence of that
> would be that my PEPs only get discussed on python-dev.  Then I see
> two possibilities: simply ignore the c.l.py crowd, or inviting them.
> I see serious downsides to each.  So that means I'll have to face
> c.l.py every time I have a PEP, or stop writing PEPs.  The latter
> sounds the most attractive -- I'll just check things in after a brief
> discussion on python-dev.

The latter pretty much defeats the whole purpose of PEPs.

I wouldn't want to get c.l.p style discussions on python-dev
about PEPs, though. Why not setup a special PEP discussion list
and then invite people from c.l.p over to it for additional
insights ?

Regarding the subject line: don't know if it's just me,
but I would like to see some of the conservative development
style we had established a few years ago return in Python's
development process. Some of the recent developments left me
under the impression of the need to rush changes with no
apparent reason (for rushing them).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH