[Python-Dev] Re: PEP Politics

Samuele Pedroni pedroni@inf.ethz.ch
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:32:08 +0200

From: Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org>
> But what am I to do?  c.l.py may not be representative, but neither is
> python-dev, and I'd like to get feedback from as many folks as
> possible.  Maybe it's just a matter of wording -- make it clear that
> the feedback won't necessarily affect the PEP unless I like what's
> being said.  But that will still cause certain folks to bitch.  Sigh.

I have the impression (at least for 285) that you got enough
feeback on the technical points from python-dev.

For the rest the important aspects are:
- breakage
 you typically know what a change will breaks,
 OTOH you might not know how much code
 will be concretely affected, for that you could
 use the experimental track to get feedback
 from people, admitting that they will try things
 out and report honestly. But my very personal
 impression is that you prefer a bit asymptotic
 language purity over avoiding breakage,
 so you should expect some over-violent reactions.

- newbie friendliness and teaching:
  I'm happy I am not the BDFL
  of a self-declared newbie-friendly language <wink>.

regards.