[Python-Dev] Re: PEP Politics

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:10:05 -0500

    A> Or, to put it another way, perhaps before development work for each
    A> release starts (aside from bug fixes), we draw up a list of the
    A> feature goals for that release ...

    Jeremy> That's pretty much what we do now, isn't it?

Hmm... I must have missed that PEP.  There is a section in the 2.3 Release
Schedule entitled "Planned features for 2.3".  Is that what you're referring
to?

I would toss the time information altogether and rename the PEP "Planned
Features for 2.x".  I just haven't seen enough justification for identifying
specific release dates, particularly early on, before new code has been
added to the repository and had some testing.

We may well be talking more about perception than reality, but it seems to
me that placing fairly artificial time limits on releases can only serve to
reinforce the perception of instability.

Skip