[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:09:54 -0400

> The cure for the pain is the same as for any other third-party
> module: tie newer releases to newer Python versions.

But that's exactly what's unacceptable in theis case: newer versions
of PyXML provide new PyXML features, and Python users who wish to use
the new PyXML features should *not* have to upgrade to the latest and
greatest Python.  That would cause the kind of dependency nightmares
we just heard about with CPAN (and which are also common with RPMs in
my experience -- I recently had to upgrade a printer driver and it was
a true nightmare).