[Python-Dev] "Unstable" is an ambiguous word...

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 23:18:57 -0400

[Michael Hudson]
> What about recent pymalloc changes?  They should yield some
> performance enhancements, will make no difference to Python code, but
> probably require cooperation from extension authors...

[Anthony Baxter]
> Aren't they binary-incompatible? In which case, thanks but no thanks,
> for me binary compatibility is one of the fundamental parts of a minor
> release.

No, we're enduring several rings of hell to ensure not only that the new
pymalloc is binary compatible, but also that it continues to "support" any
number of insane usages found in real life code, including insane usage
officially deprecated in old docs.  This is increasing the time needed to
get pymalloc "finished" by at least a factor of 100000 <wink -- but without
all this backward compatibility hair, we simply could have enabled the 2.2
pymalloc by default>.