[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:31:39 -0500

    >> Windows installers should not be created for development releases and
    >> Linux distributions will have no business installing a Python
    >> development release in /usr.

    Andrew> Not creating some installable Windows package for development
    Andrew> releases cuts of most of your potential reviewers on that
    Andrew> platform.

Oh well.  Guido already complains (rightfully so, I believe) that there is
very little community input on the existing alpha/beta/rc1/rc2 process.  As
he put it earlier today, people who check out 2.2final think they are early
adopters.  If most people don't test out early releases now, Tim's been
wasting his time generating all those installers.

The only way a significant change in the development model is going to work
is if the effort necessary to generate micro releases drops drastically.  If
churning out a binary installer *suitable for a development branch* can be
reduced to a few minutes, fine.  If not, then I suspect either someone else
will have to take that task over from Tim or Windows installers won't get
cut for development point releases.

Skip