[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:20:40 -0500

[Gerhard Häring]

> I doubt that there's a lot of input from Windows users for alphas/betas
> for major releases. The reason is that if they needed to test their
> software, they'd also need new builds of the third-party packages they
> use on Windows. But some of these are hard to build and most users don't
> know there are perfectly good free compilers for Windows.

Let's say that I fall into this camp and would like to be able to compile
Python on Windows 98. What good free compiler do you recommend, what are the
minimum steps I need to follow to install it, and what are the minimum steps
I need to follow to compile the latest Python from CVS? (I already know how
to use CVS fairly well.)

If the only real barrier is a lack of information, let's fix that problem
first. Then we can see whether any Windows users are serious about testing
alphas and betas. This is the only way we'll make any progress.

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech