[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:14:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Tim Peters wrote:
> I'll note that some small number of people have said they could be more
> help on Windows if we had a makefile for a different Windows compiler (and
> I guess they must mean "not Cygwin", else it's already there, thanks to
> Jason Tishler).

On a partially unrelated note, I've had good luck compiling Python (1.5.2)
under MingW[*] with minimal fuss.  I still use Cygwin as a build environment
so that make, configure, etc. all work.  This may turn out to be the easiest
and cheapest way to get developers going under Win32.  If anyone cares, I can
see what it takes to get a threaded build of the current Python CVS going.

-Kevin

[*] MingW is GCC targeted to native Win32 executables, just like Visual
    Studio would produce.  For more information see:

          http://www.mingw.org/

--
Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect