[Python-Dev] Unittests

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:45:09 -0400

> I don't want to argue. Why not have both whrandom and random
> around ?

The prime reasons against are clutter and confusion.  whrandom serves no
non-redundant purpose, and the existence of both confuses both oldtimers and
newcomers (I get the questions about these; I'm tired of answering them).

> I don't see the value of deprecating a stone-old module
> just because there's a new flashy module with a different
> name around.

random.py was introduced in March of 1994; the continued existence of the
redundant whrandom.py has been confusing people for more than 8 years now.