[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:32:42 -0400

[Gerhard H=E4ring]
> I doubt that there's a lot of input from Windows users for alphas/b=
etas
> for major releases.

As explained before, every time we do a prerelease, the Windows downl=
oads
account for a large majority of prerelease downloads (most recently, =
3x as
many .exe as .tgz downloads off of SourceForge for 2.2.1c2).  I have =
no idea
what Windows users do with them, though, as they sure don't seem to r=
eport
many bugs against prereleases.

> The reason is that if they needed to test their software, they'd al=
so
> need new builds of the third-party packages they use on Windows. Bu=
> some of these are hard to build and most users don't know there are
> perfectly good free compilers for Windows.

Yes, in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king <wink>.

> If it is easier for Tim/the Pythonlabs folks, why not just (for
> development snapshorts) put the Windows binaries in a zipfile that =
can
> be unzipped and will just work? I fail to see why an installer is
> absolutely necessary for Windows users.

Explained before; the Windows build tree structure is unusable for mo=
st
Windows end-users, and the installer contains all the intelligence ab=
out how
to create a Windows install tree structure.  This includes not only m=
oving
files, but renaming them too (chiefly to give readable text files .tx=
extensions instead of leaving them bare).