[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:26:10 -0300

>   GN> This was made for the exact purpose of what is being discussed.
>
> I see lots of colors, tiny graphs, and bunches of numbers.  Example:
> There are 15 normal bugs with a weight of 38.668 and an impact of
> 3.7.  Is that supposed to mean something? <wink>

:-))

> >From this page, I can't tell how bugs are measured, how they are
> classified, and what all the numbers mean.

Well, but it may give you an idea. Older bugs have more impact than
newer ones, blocker bugs have more impact than enhancements, and
so on.

> Was all this done by hand?

No, it's connected with our bugzilla.

> It looks a little over-engineered to me.

Maybe. But it came to solve the same problem you were talking about, and
it worked (indeed, we even got some free advertisement at the time this
was first published). We needed to show our users the distribution is
actively maintained, and that we care about submitted bugs (now it
doesn't show that because we've just released a new version, as the
graph shows).

> I was imagining the answer would be something more like: Count number
> of bugs marked as "closed" and "fixed" over some time interval.

That's why I suggested that page. IMO, it's not just about counting
the number of bugs. You have to know what they mean: how long they
are around, if they are about something important, maybe it's just an
enhancement purpose, etc. That's what the "weight" and "impact" means.
Just counting bugs may, at least in our case, give the wrong idea about
what really happens.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]