[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Neil Hodgson nhodgson@bigpond.net.au
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:47:36 +1000

Guido van Rossum:

> I hear there's also a free Borland compiler, but I don't know anything
> about it.  There used to be some Borland specific #ifdefs in the
> Windows pyconfig.h, but they've probably rotted away.

   I support compiling Scintilla and SciTE with the Borland, Microsoft and
GNU (mingw gcc) compilers. There are good reasons for using Microsoft (best
optimization, tools, most used compiler for Python on Windows) and GNU (free
and will stay free). Borland doesn't optimize as well as the others and may
not always be available for free. The only win for Borland is that it has
better diagnostics than the others.

   Neil