[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
11 Apr 2002 09:52:11 +0100

Aahz <aahz@pythoncraft.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >
> >> * As I've said in other posts, what we're really looking for isn't so
> >> much people to download these releases as people to *use* these
> >> releases.  That means they need to at least feel comfortable
> >> submitting bug reports and preferably also feel comfortable creating
> >> context diffs and stuff like that.  We want to create an environment
> >> that eases people like me into this process.  We're starting to go
> >> in that direction with the Developer's Guide, but I want to keep
> >> focused on it.
> >
> > Maybe in addition to a developer's guide we need a tester's guide,
> > focusing on how to test new releases and report bugs.
>
> <nod>  I'll make that part of the Developer's Guide?  Or a separate
> link off the main page?

Here's some material for that page:

+ please include the options you passed to ./configure
+ please include precise platform details
+ if the build fails, please include a copy of the error messages
  (the entire output of "make" is overkill, but more is better than less.
  on sf attaching the output of make to the report is sensible)
+ if a test fails, please run it in verbose mode too, and include the
  output of that (& explain how to do this - I got a lot of copies of the
  output of "python -v test_math.py -v" after 221c1...)
+ an exhortation to run their application's regression suites using the
  new Python (I tried to get people to do this for 221, but I don't think
  anyone did.  I still think it would be a good idea).

Cheers,
M.

--
93. When someone says "I want a programming language in which I
    need only say what I wish done," give him a lollipop.