[Python-Dev] Stability Metrics

akuchlin@mems-exchange.org akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:04:08 -0400

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 12:46:43AM -0400, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>Whatever metric is choosen (and I DO think having a stability
>metric is good), it should have a clear interpretation that
>a higher number is good and a lower number is bad or vice-versa.

The number itself is meaningless as a stability indicator; Skip's
suggestion is that the number should drop with successive releases as
the unfixed bugs get more and more obscure.  So 2.2.1 fixes 140 bugs,
and 2.2.2 fixes 70, and 2.2.3 fixes 15, and so on.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
Here are we -- and yonder yawns the universe.
    -- H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, February 20 1929