[Python-Dev] trace.py and the obscurity of Tools/scripts/ (was: Unittest list)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:44:19 -0400

>     GvR> Maybe more tools should follow the evolution of ndiff and
>     GvR> migrate to the library (where ndiff lives on as difflib).
>
> Probably so.  I wonder if it makes sense to put them in a package
> (e.g. a `scripts' package)?
>
> -Barry

No, the point is that most of them ought to be converted into a
usable library module, whose __main__ is just a simple way to invoke
it.  Many existing library modules already have this: e.g. pdb,
profile, mimify, base64, etc.

If you're going to keep them *just* as scripts, then they should
remain in Tools.