[Python-Dev] Threading and callbacks - missing documentation

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 23:14:54 +0200

Folks,
unless I'm looking in completely the wrong place (I looked in
"extending and Embedding" and in "Python/C API") there is
absolutely no information in the docs on the interaction between
callbacks and the GIL. There is preciously little information on
callbacks and threading, and it isn't very helpful at that (i.e.
there doesn't seem to be a recipy on how to obtain the GIL in a
callback routine that is about to call Python code, or how to
test whether the current thread holds the GIL already).

As I'm currently very interested in this for two separate
reasons (one work-related, and another one is that I want to
make the Mac toolbox modules release the GIL when appropriate) I
could write something up, but only if (a) it isn't documented
somewhere already and (b) someone can tell me how it actually
works:-).
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -