[Python-Dev] Re: PEP Politics

kamikaze@kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu kamikaze@kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
12 Apr 2002 02:14:55 -0000

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> spake:
>But what am I to do?  c.l.py may not be representative, but neither is
>python-dev, and I'd like to get feedback from as many folks as
>possible.  Maybe it's just a matter of wording -- make it clear that
>the feedback won't necessarily affect the PEP unless I like what's
>being said.  But that will still cause certain folks to bitch.  Sigh.

  There are always going to be people who will bitch, because they enjoy
bitching.  There are always going to be people who will take an instant
dislike to any change, because they fear change.  There are always going
to be people who will automatically reject any PEP you propose,
*because* you created Python - I don't understand this behavior at all,
but you see it in many fields where the "fans" hate anything new from an
artist or writer or inventor.

  There is nothing you can do to fix them.  Don't sweat it, and please
keep posting your PEPs where as many people as possible can see and
discuss them - most of us have a serious need to know what's coming down
the line, and at least some voice in that process.

-- <a href="http://kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu/~kamikaze/"> Mark Hughes </a>