[Python-Dev] trace.py and the obscurity of Tools/scripts/ (was: Unittest list)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:34:45 -0400

  zooko> So in terms of `trace.py', it is a widely useful tool and
  zooko> already has a programmatic interface.  Being added to the
  zooko> hallowed Python Standard Library would be a major step up in
  zooko> publicity and hence usage.  It would require better docs
  zooko> regarding the programmatic usage.

  SM> It's speed cries out for a rewrite of some sort.  I haven't
  SM> thought about it, but I wonder if it could be layered on top of
  SM> hotshot.

Can any of the handler methods be re-coded in C?  The hotshot changes
allow you to install a C function as a trace hook, but doesn't the
trace function in trace.py do a fair amount of work?

Jeremy