[Python-Dev] RE: Building on Windows (was Re: A "new" kind of leak)

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:19:30 -0400

[Aahz]
> Yup, this is precisely why I never considered trying to do serious dev
> work on Windows.

It's not *that* hard.  The worst part of heavy development on Win98 is the
time it takes for frequent forced reboots; the rest is comparatively minor.

> I think this kind of thing is much more amenable to automation on
> Unixes,

Especially when the project is primarily developed by Unix weenies <wink>.
If it were built on COM automation, the Unixoids would be crawling on their
bellies.

> but I also think the NT-class OSes do better, too.

Oh yes.  Far fewer reboots, and a much stronger native shell.

> Have you considered switching to Win2K for your dev work and just
> testing under Win98?

I use Win2K on my office box.  For home use, I still prefer Win98 for
everything except development.  I've been toying with setting up a Linux box
at home, but the time it would take to get that all hooked up and working,
then maintained over time, has so far seemed too depressing to overcome.