[Python-Dev] Adding Optik to 2.3 standard library

Samuele Pedroni pedroni@inf.ethz.ch
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 00:40:43 +0200

From: Barry A. Warsaw <barry@zope.com>

>     GvR> To the contrary.  Only problem is how to prevent loading all
>     GvR> of optik when one imports getopt.getopt (and getopt.error).
>
> Too bad modules can't have __getattr__'s :)
>
> Seriously, I wonder if it's time to write (or adopt) a general
> autoloading facility for Python?

Seriously, what do you mean by that? I imagine ugly things
<wink>.

Btw, Jython
(as you might now) has deep-auto-importing, that means

import pkg1.pkg2

pkg1.pkg2.f()

in Jython can be written as:

import pkg1

pkg1.pkg2.f()

(yes you should still import the first-level package),
this was intended for Java imports but then
extended to python packages too for symmetry.
OTOH is a great way to write non-portable
(to CPython) jython code <wink>.

regards.