[Python-Dev] A "new" kind of leak

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
15 Apr 2002 11:30:51 +0100

Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net> writes:

> [Michael Hudson]
> > For patches that
> >
> > cvs up -j blah -j blat file
> >
> > can handle, I have a setup that make porting them the work of seconds.
> > It takes a little while to set up, so I batch them.
>
> Maybe waiting for a change to show up in the trunk is a better way to go.
> Since I was making the trunk change "live", and wasn't going to check
> anything in before everything worked on both trunk and branch, -j was
> impotent (in the way I happened to do this).  Regardless, it won't work for
> *this* patch if it's desired in 2.1 (too much has changed).

Yes, this particular patch was exceptional in several ways (eg. no
chance of applying cleanly to 21-maint, being hard to test
automatically, and affecting a particularly critical bit of code).

I doubt many of that list apply to the majority of bugfixes (well,
quite a few probably don't apply to 21-maint by now).

Longer ramblings will appear in another thread in a moment.

Cheers,
M.

--
  If you don't have friends with whom to share links and conversation,
  you have social problems and you should confront them instead of