[Python-Dev] Re: Deprecating divmod() // % for complex

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:02:09 -0400

> Guido van Rossum writes:
>  > Unclear what the value is.  Deprecations are systematically listed in
>  > the documentation AFAIK.

[Fred]
> If that were the only issue, what's the point of maintaining a list in
> the PEP at all?

Beats me.  Maybe because the PEP author thought deprecating whole
modules was a heavier kind of operation?  Maybe because he didn't
realize other things could be deprecated as well?  Maybe because he
planned a separate PEP for those?

> I've heard requests that the deprecations be more easily located as
> part of the documentation, so that there's an actual list of all
> deprecations as a distinct section.  There's a fair bit of merit in
> that, I think.  At the moment, the PEP is the closest thing we have to
> that list.

Yes, having a summary of deprecation info per release makes sense.
Ideally it should be something readily accessible and easy to point to
(e.g. from the release webpage).

> Generating a list of deprecations from the markup elsewhere in the
> documention shouldn't be too hard, and we could include a section in
> the "What's New" document for new deprecations easily enough.

If that's the way you want to do it.  I think there's merit in
requiring that some thought goes into the deprecation process.