[Python-Dev] timeoutsocket.py

Bernard Yue bernie@3captus.com
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:09:50 -0600

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > What is the status of integrating timeoutsocket.py into standard
> > library?  Are there any body responsible for it currently?  If not I
> > would like to give it a shot.
>
> Isn't one of the problems that the timeout is global?

It is indeed. IMO,  Timeout should be per-socket based.

> Also, I'd expect that if you did this as a standard feature, the
> implementation would be completely different (e.g. integrate it in the
> C socket code).

Yes, because I find that there is a need for that (I needed it quite
frequently).

> I think it would be great if timeouts were added to sockets (and
> *maybe* the global timeout is even a good thing).  But I'd like to see
> a design first rather than code.

So it looks like nobody is working on it, I will try to create a design
and summited it for comment.

Bernie
--
There are three schools of magic.  One:  State a tautology, then ring
the changes on its corollaries; that's philosophy.  Two:  Record many