[Python-Dev] timeoutsocket.py

Bernard Yue bernie@3captus.com
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:37:53 -0600

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     >> What is the status of integrating timeoutsocket.py into standard
>     >> library?  Are there any body responsible for it currently?  If not I
>     >> would like to give it a shot.
>
>     Guido> Isn't one of the problems that the timeout is global?
>
> That's the easiest way to use it, but you can specify timeouts on a
> per-socket basis.  From the module docstring:
>
>     import timeoutsocket
>     import httplib
>     H = httplib.HTTP("www.python.org")
>     H.sock.set_timeout(30)
>
> The author, Tim O'Malley, is probably the best person to address issues with
> this package, so I've added him to the cc list in case he's not a python-dev
> subscriber.
>
> Skip

Just have a look at socket.py and timeoutsocket.py (version 1.21, assuming the
lastest).  Looks like that class _socketobject and class Timeoutsocket can be
merged with no conflict.

Now it comes the question:

1.  Shall we merge socket.py and timeoutsocket.py?
2.  If yes to Q1, how are we going to due with the copyright issue?
3.  If no to Q1, are we going to just add timeoutsocket.py to standard library
(Though there the copyright issue stays)?

Bernie

--
In Scotland, a new game was invented. It was entitled
Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden.... and