[Python-Dev] autoheader warning for WITH_UNIVERSAL_NEWLINES

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:28:32 +0200

Martin,
how do I find out about all this autoconf magic? I simply used the code
for another configure option (WITH_GC, I think) as a template and
modified it for my needs. But I'm really groping in the dark with
configure. I've have never heard of autoheader, for instance, and
haven't a clue that I should have used it (if I should have, and for
what:-)

On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 07:56 , Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:
>
>>> 	autoheader: missing template: WITH_UNIVERSAL_NEWLINES
>>>
>>> Sorry, I have no idea why.
>>
>> I see this too.  I'm guessing Jack missed some autoconf detail.
>> Martin?
>
> The "template" is the fragment
>
> /* Define if you want to read files with foreign newlines. */
> #undef WITH_UNIVERSAL_NEWLINES
>
> autoheader generates this from the AC_DEFINE line. If that is not
> possible because the AC_DEFINE does not provide the docstring, it
> generates it from acconfig.h. If that is not possible because
> acconfig.h is not used, it complains (and puts noting into
> pyconfig.h.in).
>
> The fix for this is
>
> -    AC_DEFINE(WITH_UNIVERSAL_NEWLINES)
> +    AC_DEFINE(WITH_UNIVERSAL_NEWLINES, 1,
> +      [Define if you want to read files with foreign newlines.])
>
> Committed as configure.in 1.311.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>
> P.S. The "1", which is the value this gets if defined, is not strictly
> necessary. However, explicit is better than implicit.

http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -